- Maintain an Australia‐wide network of laboratories for the collection of research samples from subjects in clinical trials and cohort studies of HIV and HCV.
- Maintain a laboratory quality assurance program (QAP) to ensure high standards in the separation and storage of serum, plasma, and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs).
- Maintain a central specimen repository for samples of relevance to Australian HIV and HCV strategy clinical research.
- Foster the development and clinical application of novel diagnostic and prognostic assays of relevance to Australian HIV and HCV strategy research via project‐based support, including provision of high priority, short‐term projects.
- Consider, prioritise and approve applications for sample collection via the Network which entail use of IVRN resources.
- Consider, prioritise and approve applications for access to samples collected via the Network for use in HIV and HCV strategy projects.
The IVRN is managed by a Steering Committee, which includes scientific and consumer representatives and meets quarterly.