Areas of Research: HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C
The areas of research of highest priority for support in 2011-2013 are listed below. Collaboration with other National Centres for HIV and hepatitis research are strongly encouraged.
1. Development of vaccine candidates to the stage of clinical trials or commercial development, together with the capacity to measure appropriate immunological outcomes in phase 1 and 2 trials.
2. Development of animal model systems to test candidate HIV, HBV and HCV vaccines.
3. Development of therapeutic vaccines.
- Antiviral Targets
1. Development of drug targets
2. Development of topical microbicides
- Diagnostics and Prognostics
1. New diagnostics for monitoring treatment programs in resource-poor regions.
2. Novel prognostics.
4. Molecular virology tools for tracking the epidemics.
5. Laboratory tools to enable the assessment of drug toxicityselee